Yesterday we shared some statistics on why digital printing is an environmentally friendly form of printing. Today, we are going to share a few new statistics on the overall environmental footprint of the print and paper industry.
Did You Know these Green Printing Facts?
- Only 11 percent of the trees harvested for production are used to create paper?
- The recycling rate of direct mail has grown 700 percent in the past twenty years.
- Over 50 percent of electronic waste is sent overseas to be dismantled unsafely.
- In the US, there is more forest coverage today than 50 years ago.
- Sixty percent of the energy used to produce paper is recycled energy.
- Only about 10 percent of energy in most American industries is created from recycled energy.
- 51.5 Million tons of paper were recycled in 2011 and that number continues to grow.
- According to chooseprint.org only 0.29% of pollution was caused by printing chemicals released. This number is also projected to decrease over the next decade.
Consumers who were surveyed in a Printing.org study reported they view mail as a highly relevant source of information in their lives. Because of this, it is important to include direct mail in your marketing mix to reach your audience. Today, over 63 percent of direct mail is recycled and over 80 percent of households read the direct mail they receive from brands.
Printing Industries Alliance